You should always put as much effort into taking care of your feet as any other part of your body. Here are several foot and ankle healthcare tips to help you do just that:
- Check your feet regularly for bruises or cuts that may go unnoticed.
- Trim your toenails regularly at the proper length to avoid nail problems. If you are diabetic, have poor circulation, fungal nails, or are prone to ingrown nails or other nail problems, consult with a CFAC podiatrist regarding proper nail care.
- Use moisturizer to treat dry feet. Be sure not to get moisturizer between your toes, as this could lead to fungal infections.
- Wear shoes that are comfortable and fit well.
- Wear clean socks with closed shoes to absorb sweat and avoid athlete’s foot, fungal problems, and foot odor.
- Exercise your feet. Use stretching to avoid muscle cramps in the toes and ankles by raising, pointing, and curling your toes repeatedly for five seconds and rotating your ankles. To loosen ankle joints, cup your heel and turn each ankle slowly several times.
- Be sure to pedicure properly. Use toenail clippers with a straight edge and cut nails straight across. Do not cut cuticles.
- Elevate your legs to reduce swelling from sitting too long in the same position or after a long day on your feet. Lay or sit and lift your legs above your heart.
- See your podiatrist if you experience any persistent type of foot pain as it may indicate an injury or illness.
More Foot & Ankle Health Tips
For more foot and ankle health tips, consult the podiatrists at Cincinnati Foot & Ankle Care. Call us today at the location nearest you or complete our convenient online appointment request form.